(Source: European Central Bank)
Type of contract Traineeship
Who can apply? EU nationals eligible for our traineeship programme (see further information section)
Grant The trainee grant is €1,070 per month plus an accommodation allowance (see further information section)
Working time Full time
Place of work Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Closing date 07.06.2021
Your team You will be part of the Legislation Division in the Directorate General Legal Services. Our Division is responsible for preparing the ECB’s legal acts in the official languages of the EU, reviewing legal texts for legal, linguistic and terminological consistency and maintaining a legal terminology database.
In the field of banking supervision, we provide advice and expertise in developing ECB supervisory decisions within the Single Supervisory Mechanism and are involved in preparing and reviewing such decisions. We also contribute to the delivery of large banking supervision projects and help implement common policies in this area.
Our Division is also responsible for publishing and disseminating the ECB’s legal framework and other legal publications.
In your role as a trainee, you will be part of a team of 40 members of staff and will work closely with other relevant ECB business areas in all of the ECB’s fields of competence.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics.
Your role As a trainee, you will:
- translate draft ECB legal acts and other legal documents from English into Italian;
- revise Italian translations of ECB legal acts and other legal documents;
- translate legal texts from Italian into English for internal working purposes and revise translations from Italian into English of national laws and other legal documents;
- contribute to the drafting of ECB legal acts;
- carry out legal research related to legislative drafting and in areas relevant to the ECB’s activities as a central bank and a banking supervisor;
- engage in the Legislation Division’s projects related to the development of the ECB lawyer-linguist function, knowledge management, the use of technology, etc.
- contribute, as required, to the work of the Legislation Division as a whole.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to contribute to the quality of ECB legal acts. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills Essential:
- a degree in Italian law awarded by an Italian university (master’s or equivalent or higher);
- a good knowledge of the MS Office package;
- a mastery-level (C2) command of Italian and an advanced (C1) command of English, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- a good knowledge of EU law;
- basic knowledge of EU and Italian banking and financial law;
- experience in legal translation;
- an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, in addition to Italian and English;
- a demonstrable interest in or experience with using visualisation and collaboration tools.
You are curious and eager to learn and want to further develop your ability to analyse complex information. You are keen to collaborate with others, pursue team goals and learn from other people’s diverse perspectives. You strive to know and anticipate stakeholder needs and will signal any need for change and propose alternative solutions.
You are motivated to contribute to the ECB’s mission, to serve the citizens of the EU as a member of a public institution and to work with colleagues from all over Europe. You are keen to be part of our team and to use your skills and competencies to achieve the objectives of this position.