EU VACANCY: EEAS Call for Expression of Interest IT Security Assistant RM.SECRE.3
The European External Action Service (EEAS), which supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent foreign policy of the European Union. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity of Vice President of the Commission. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Division RM.SECRE.3 is responsible for the protection and registration of EUCI within all EEAS entities and during the transfer to Member States, other EU institutions, International Organisations, agencies and missions by the provision of classified communication and information systems (CCIS), along with the infrastructure, organisation, personnel and information resources required to develop, maintain and operate them.
The position of IT Security Officer, supervising and assisting in the correct administration, management and inspections of classified Communication and Information Systems (CCIS) within the EEAS.
Under the direction of the Head of the Sector ‘Security Studies and Accreditation’, the person will be called to:
- Supervise the overall functioning of the security features of CCIS, analyse events and compose reports, with the support of the Security Operating Centre (SOC);
- Complement the system administrators in security-sensitive duties that require the application of the four-eyes principle;
- Actively participate in the change management process and Board for CCIS;
- Act as validator for entitlement management for CCIS, in support of the SOC;
- Draft and revise Security Operating Procedures (SecOPs), in close collaboration with the ‘Defence and Projects’ Sector;
- Monitor the correct implementation and application of the SecOPs;
- Perform IT security inspections to verify that the defined security posture matches with the existing configuration;
- Elaborate test strategies and test plans;
- Follow-up of IT security incidents, and in particular the impact on the security status of a CCIS;
- Draft technical reports;
- Take part in security studies, including risk analysis, recommendations or evaluations.
WE LOOK FOR
We are looking for a confirmed IT Security Expert with an established track record in IT risk management, who has experience with classified communication and information systems or a strong motivation to specialise in this domain.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS)1, in accordance with EEAS Decision ADMIN(2015) 20 on the engagement and use of temporary agents
The successful candidate will be offered a contract as Temporary Agent under Article 2(b) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS) at the grade of AST4
Candidates must meet ALL of the following general and specific conditions on the closing date for online applications:
- Be a national of one of the EU Member States and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Meet any obligations imposed on him or her by the laws concerning military service;
- Provide the appropriate character references as to his suitability for the performance of his duties;
- Have the capacity to work in languages of the CFSP (English and French, in writing and orally). Both languages are required in the performance of the duties. The command of one language must be at minimum C1 level (Language 1 — thorough knowledge) and the command of the other one must be at minimum B2 level (Language 2 — satisfactory knowledge).
- Secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, followed by at least 7 years’ professional experience directly related to the nature of the duties; OR Relevant professional training followed by at least 7 years’ professional experience directly related to the nature of the duties.
Candidates should have:
- An expert level background on IT systems, networks and IT security;
- An established track record in IT security and IT risk management;
- Experience with classified communication and information systems (CCIS), OR a strong interest and motivation to specialise in this domain within a limited timeframe;
- Professional collaboration skills; a friendly, accommodating and solution oriented attitude, whilst functioning within the limits of strict security policies;
- Strong drafting and communication skills;
- The ability to work autonomously and precise, and to deliver results in a timely manner;
- Knowledge of English and French,
- A valid Personnel Security Clearance (PSC) at the level of SECRET UE,
would be considered as strong assets.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE2:
The selection procedure will take place in three different and successive steps:
1. Expression of Interest
Expressions of interest should be sent by e-mail to the following functional mailbox
For the purposes of the e-mail application, this post will appear under the subject of the email:
“Application EoI-HQ (AST)-TA2b-AST4- RM.SECRE.3- IT SECURITY ASSISTANT-351819”
Such an expression of interest must be accompanied by:
- an updated Curriculum vitae. Candidates are invited to use the “Europass” CV format (https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae) for their applications.
- a letter of motivation (maximum 2 pages) in either English or in French;
Applications may be submitted during the period from 22/11/2021 to 13/12/2021 at 12:00 midday (Brussels time).
For correspondence concerning the selection procedure, please use the following email address (the e-mail must have in the subject the following title: “EoI- HQ (AST)-TA2b-AST4-RM.SECRE.3-IT Security Assistant-351819”
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and the professional experience described in the CV and motivation letter.
The candidates who have passed the pre-selection step will be invited for an interview so that the selection panel can evaluate these candidates objectively and without prejudice on the basis of their qualifications, professional experience and linguistic skills. Additional specific written or oral tests might be organised by the panel.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service, which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
If pre-selected, candidates with disabilities are invited to contact us in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates.
If a candidate with a disability is selected and recruited, the EEAS is committed to appropriate measures in order to accommodate his or her special needs to the working place or working conditions in accordance with Art 1d(4) of the Staff Regulations.
The selected candidate will be recruited as temporary agents under Article 2(b) of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants (CEOS), in accordance with EEAS Decision ADMIN(2015) 20 on the engagement and use of temporary agents
The selected candidate will be required to undergo a medical fitness examination in accordance with Article 13 of the CEOS.
Candidates shall have a valid Personnel Security Clearance (PSC) allowing them to access information classified at the level “SECRET UE/EU SECRET” or will be required to undergo the corresponding security vetting in accordance with the EEAS security rules3. In case the successful candidate does not obtain his or her PSC, his or her engagement will be terminated.
In case of positive results on the medical fitness examination and after assessment of the PSC conditions, the candidate will be offered a contract as Temporary Agent, Grade AST44 for a duration 4 years renewable only once for another 2 years.
All member of the temporary staff shall serve initially a nine-month probationary period in accordance with Article 14 CEOS.
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT: Brussels, Belgium
Mr Jean-Guy HOTTIAUX
Head of Division RM.SECRE.3
The closing date for submissions is 13/12/2021 at 12:00 hours (Brussels time).
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CE…
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EC) 2018/1725. The privacy statement is available on EEAS webpage: http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm