EEAS Vacancy Notice: Contract Agent – Policy Officer – Relations with the European Parliament – EEAS Headquarters – job n° 369554
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU’s external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
Within the EEAS’ mission to promote the EU’s role as a global actor, the Parliamentary Affairs Division (SG.AFFGEN.2) offers professional support, analysis and advice to the HRVP and the EEAS management on all institutional or policy-issues concerning the relations between the EEAS and the European Parliament. The Team reaches out towards EP administration and Members, works closely with the Cabinet of the HR/VP and senior members of the EEAS management, attends and reports on all EP meetings of relevance to the EEAS – both in Brussels and Strasbourg, ensures smooth inter-institutional coordination and information flow and manages and coordinates parliamentary questions as well as EEAS replies to Petitions. Further to EP-related issues, the Division is also responsible for other inter-institutional relations, i. a. with National Parliaments, the European Ombudsman, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, coordinating the EEAS response to formal and informal queries from these institutions and bodies. In addition, the Division is also responsible for handling Access to Documents and Information to citizens requests within the EEAS.
The position of the Policy Officer – Relations with the European Parliament – contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
We look for
The successful candidate would contribute to:
- Cover the preparation, handling and follow-up to the EP Plenary meeting, including briefing coordination and reporting.
- Attend meetings of the EP monthly Plenary meeting. Draft reports and transmit relevant documents.
- The overall follow-up of policy developments within the European Parliament (EP) and its Committees on a daily basis.
- The work of the Division’s Parliamentary Questions Team, including through coordination within the EEAS and with the Commission.
- The work of the Division’s Transparency Team, notably in the field of Access to Documents (Regulation 1049/2001).
Other tasks could be assigned by the Head of Division in the interest of the service.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ;
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=Al…
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with EU Institutions and Member States, as well as partners;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- be a flexible team player.
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions, in particular the European Parliament
would be considered as a strong asset.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu(link sends e-mail) in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) in the subject field of an email to EEAS-PARLIAMENTARY-AFFAIRS-TEAM@EEAS.EUROPA.EU(link sends e-mail)
Deadline for sending application: 28/06/2021 at 18.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address:http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: immediately
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CE…
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-s…).