EEAS Vacancy Notice: Contract Agent FGIV – IT Security Officer – SOC Analyst – EEAS Headquarters – job n° 240920
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU’s external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
EEAS Digital Solutions Division (BA.BS.3) contributes to EEAS business process effectiveness and efficiency in terms of implementing ICT services, tools, and infrastructure by:
- Making available a high-level secure ICT end-user environment that support EEAS end-users in fulfilling their operational targets in both Headquarters and EU Delegations.
- Delivering and maintaining Information Systems in support to EEAS’s activities: construction and maintenance of rich interface applications for desktops and mobile devices, applying high quality standards and development methodology supported by state of the art life development cycle tools.
- Maintaining and developing information and Communication technology infrastructures, tools and services with the appropriate levels of training and security.
The IT Division is made of several teams dealing with Infrastructure & Support, Development of Information Systems, and Budget and Administration. It counts 45+ statutory posts and subcontract part of his activities to external contractors (Helpdesk & First line Support, Second and third line support, WAN management, Developments, etc.).
The Infrastructure Section is composed of 25 officials and 100+ intra-muros experts.
The Operations team in the Infrastructure Section is covering among others the daily operations, installation, support, troubleshooting, and evolution, of the ICT infrastructure including (non-exhaustive list) one central helpdesk and specific teams dealing with Servers, Storage and Backups, End Points, Network and Security, Proximity teams, etc.
A dedicated IT Security Team exists with various responsibilities in the IT Security domain such as:
- Providing and managing the Security Operation Centre,
- Security incident handling,
- Dealing with endpoint security, network security,
- Defining security requirements and reviewing the implementation details of IT Projects,
- User awareness, policy development,
- Designing, implementing and managing the EU Restricted communication system of the EEAS.
The position of an IT Security Officer – SOC Analyst in the IT Security Team – contract agent FGIV as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
As an “IT Security Officer – SOC Analyst”, you will be asked to (not exhaustive list):
- Monitor, maintain and protect EEAS networks, systems and assets for malicious activity typically using technologies such as Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM) and Incident Response Platform.
- Perform threat analysis.
- Analyse Application/mobile security in the context of incident response and forensic activities.
- Anticipate threats and alerts to avoid their occurrence.
- Analyse breaches to determine their root cause (incident response); respond rapidly and effectively to IT security incidents, managing them in a professional manor, including performing forensics for evidence gathering and preservation.
- Maintain SOC infrastructure and tooling.
- To provide help in technical vulnerability assessments of IT systems to identify potential vulnerabilities, make recommendations to control identified risks.
- Under minimal guidance of the IT Security Team Leader, assist with IT security Audits throughout the EEAS – identifying potentially insecure processes and systems.
- Take part of blue/purple team security exercises.
- Manage projects/procurements related to the operation of the SOC.
- Approach tasks with flexibility, proactivity and complete work to a high quality.
- Coordinate tasks as directed by the IT Security Team Leader to assist in the improvement of the security of the system.
- Keep up to date with security trends, threats and control measures.
- Work on the continuous improvements of SOC services, including processes, methodologies, tools.
- Actively participate and contribute in regular and ad-hoc meetings and liaison with team, departmental and institutional colleagues as directed.
- Act as a backup of other colleagues and be involved in activities of the IT Security Team, not necessarily just in connection with the SOC team.
The job is a key position for an experienced technical IT officer looking for a dynamic working environment and challenging projects within a friendly, motivated and supportive team.
Main working language is English, and French is a strong asset.
We look for
We are looking for a dynamic and service-oriented colleague with a very strong IT Security technical background with proven experiences in SOC related activities. In addition to demonstrating very good analytical and organisational skills, the successful candidate will have to be pro-active and be able to follow the procedures on an autonomous basis.
The ability to build and maintain good human relations within the teams and with our internal customers is essential. The selected candidate should demonstrate significant relevant experience.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ;
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=Al…
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have a very strong proven experience in SOC related activities;
- have a very strong technical knowledge of tools, processes, methodologies used and applied in SOC related activities;
- be able to represent the EEAS in Cyber Security related inter institutional technical working groups/task forces;
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English, and French is a strong asset;
- be a flexible team player.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions;
- professional certifications in IT Security, especially in SOC related domains;
- experience with one or many of those technologies: Splunk, TheHive and MISP;
- Python and Powshell scripting languages
would be considered as strong assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate shall be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu(link sends e-mail) in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to
Deadline for sending application: 18/06/2021 at 18.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address:http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: immediately
Zsolt KUN-SZABO – Head of IT Security Team (+32 2 5484 3527)
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CE…
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-s…).