EEAS Vacancy Notice: Contract Agent FGIII- Assistant to the Secretary-General (Secretariat of the Secretary General)- EEAS Headquarters job n° 355634
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU’s external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Secretary General oversees the daily work of the EEAS, both politically and administratively. He has a close team lead by the Head of Office, a secretariat of 3 staff, and 3 political assistants.
The position of the Assistant to the Secretary General – contract agent FGIII as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
We look for
A candidate with Director-level experience. A dynamic, flexible and proactive colleague with good communication and organizational skills with a developed sense of service. The successful candidate should have good computer skills with a sound knowledge of the standard IT applications and administrative procedures. He/she will be entrusted with the following main tasks, in tandem with one other assistant:
- provide efficient secretarial support;
- filtering telephone calls, filing and ordering supplies;
- document management, including registration of incoming and outgoing correspondence through Ares;
- organize missions;
- accreditation procedure and organize meetings and events;
- ensure the preparation of the daily file, coordination of briefings;
- management and implementation of the SG’s agenda.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group III); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent III post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=Al…
- have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three year;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset;
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have a good understanding of the rules and procedures of the European Institutions;
- be proactive, highly motivated and have good organisational skills;
- be able to work autonomously;
- have sense of team spirit, flexibility and strong service attitude;
- have good inter-personal skills and be client-oriented;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- be able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines when necessary;
- have sound computer skills (Operating systems (Windows), Office suites (Microsoft Office), Communication and collaboration tools (Outlook, WebEx); and applications ARES, MIPS, SYSPER, etc.;
- have ability to handle sensitive information and contacts with internal and external partners with a high level of confidentiality and discretion.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions
would be considered as strong assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service, which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to
Deadline for applications: 20 October 2021 at 18.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address:http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 16 November 2021
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CE…
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-s…).